Head of Engineering
Location: Pontefract, West Yorkshire (WF9)
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Strategic and tactical responsibility for implementing engineering strategy and strategic operational goals to exceed customer expectations for product development, quality, delivery and cost, maximising efficiency, optimising and driving engineering excellence. Work closely with internal and external key stakeholders, customer service, manufacturing, sales and customers regarding technical support of their activities. Responsible for all areas of the Engineering function and quality of service delivery, striving for best in class products and business practices to deliver to the customer's expectations, managing teams and projects across the business. Provide clear leadership and vision, inspire and motivate staff to achieve excellence and mentor them as they develop new skills. Drive Key Performance Indicators across all areas of the Engineering function to ensure that all projects are delivered on cost and on time to the highest quality standards. Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental issues are prioritised and facilitate, direct and drive implementation of Lean Business strategy and drive Continuous Improvement across all engineering related areas of the business.
Strategy & Development:
- Overall responsibility for Engineering activities across the business.
- Create and implement best practice engineering vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance.
- Ensure that engineering strategies and processes are in place to meet business objectives and operational needs in terms of price, quality and delivery targets and which enables the company to function and compete effectively in the market.
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities.
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process.
- Take ownership of the engineering policy, guidelines and any associated documents.
- Initiate and develop creative and innovative engineering processes
General and Task Management:
- Providing technical support to the business development, estimating and onsite engineering teams.
- Responsible for overseeing all aspects of build design, from contract award to handover.
- Lead the preparation of technical and contract documentation for issue and analysis of returned tenders.
- Assisting projects with value engineering and financial control of contracts during construction stage.
- Develop planning and prioritise processes to ensure that multi-disciplinary resource is well aligned to maximise delivery of projects.
- Ensure any new equipment or engineering activity is supported with appropriate qualification documentation and that this is appropriately stored.
- Ensure up to date drawings are maintained appropriately.
- Work with Marketing department on product development, market opportunities and trends.
- Coordinate with manufacturing to ensure manufacturability of product while maintaining quality, safety and environmental standards and achieving cost targets in a timely fashion.
- Support project management to cross functional activity required for project execution.
- Operate a process for safe selection of external contractors. In conjunction with the Head of Purchasing ensure all external contracts are regularly reviewed to ensure best value
- Report on Engineering activities on a regular basis to the Senior Management team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant Key Performance Indicators.
- Ensure that Environmental, Health and Safety, engineering and quality standards and procedures are adhered to.
- Establish quality and reliability standards by studying industry benchmarks and the requirements of customers and research/design and development, and define the metrics required to assess performance against standards required.
- Provide leadership to departments under control and coach, mentor and develop direct reports and manage a high performing team that delivers continuous improvement, added value and cost reductions.
- Set department objectives and monitor ongoing progress and performance.
- Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate exchange of information and in order to implement change and improvements.
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors.
- Responsible for developing the appropriate organisational structure, resource plans and culture to support the business objectives and customer deliverables.
- Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles.
- Complete regular performance reviews, manage attendance, holidays, disciplinary issues and procedures as appropriate.
- Establish strategy and best practices for staff to ensure achievement of overall business objectives. Work with the Engineering team to translate site strategy into specific annual performance goals and departmental objectives. including KPIs, and to track them.
Financial Budget and Control:
- Prepare the annual Engineering budget and forecasts and all Capital Expenditure proposals as well as ensuring compliance with customer and legal requirements.
- Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects.
- Input and hold responsibility for engineering budgets.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance.
- Work with the rest of the leadership team to decide which engineering projects are the highest priority against the business targets and which can be executed with the available resource.
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the engineering strategy.
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of market and technology change and potential effects on engineering. Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimising cost.
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on engineering activities.
- Support Sales team in developing product specification and quote activities.
- Appraising and interpreting client requirements to ensure that technical, legislative and commercial aspects are delivered on each project.
- Liaise and coordinate with clients, members of the engineering team and contractors on technical and commercial issues.
Do you have the skills and experience to fill this role?